Saturday, June 27, 2009

What happened to me is called Placenta Praevia

I finally found out what happened to me is called Placenta Praevia (some written as Placenta Previa). It is a condition which placenta attaches to the uterine wall in the lower portion of the uterus and covers all or part of the cervix.


Normal placenta should be near the top of the uterus, leaving the opening of the cervix clear for the delivery. If placenta remains in the lower part of the uterus, it is praevia. There are three types of praevia: marginal, partial and complete praevia. Mine is marginal praevia, which placenta is against the cervix but does not cover the opening.

My symptom of placenta praevia is painless vaginal bleeding, which happened in week 32. Bleeding from a placenta previa happens when the cervix begins to thin out or dilate and disrupts the blood vessels in that area.


I was advised to reduce activities and stay on bed rest. I was also given some medical treatments, i.e. steroid shots to help mature the baby's lungs, multivitamins to strengthen my body, and Ventolin to reduce contractions. Steroid shot is quite a painful shot, and Ventolin will cause faster heart beats and shaking hands. I did cross match for blood holds in case of any blood transfusion.

For my case, there is still a chance that my placenta can be farther from the cervix as uterus expands. Also, as placenta itself grows, it is likely to grow toward the richer blood supply in the upper part of the uterus. It is still possible for me to go through normal delivery. But I may also end up entering C-section (cesarean delivery). It all depends on my condition when close to delivery.

I'm glad that my condition is getting stable but I still have to be very careful. Jo Junior gives me comforts because he is still as active as before. I can clearly feel his movements, and his every movement makes me less worries.

No comments: