Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Breastfeeding in public

Feeding formula milk can be everywhere, but I want to feed Jayden breast milk whenever I am around. I always think of "where to feed Jayden?" whenever I bring him out shopping. So I started breastfeeding in "public"!

It is not really breastfeeding openly, but in nursery room or baby room available in shopping malls. I need to make sure it is available before I decided where to go shopping. I have few experiences and would like to share with people who may need it in the future, save time in looking for it next time!

1. Jaya Jusco
Jaya Jusco is available almost in all big shopping malls, for example Mid Valley, One Utama, IOI Mall, Sunway Pyramid and etc. You can go to children department and look for Baby Room / Nursery Room. Or, you can look for 'milk bottle' sign outside the washroom. They provide you with water dispenser, place to change diapers and private rooms with curtain for breastfeeding. The one in IOI Jaya Jusco is twin sharing private room, but comes with baby cot. Some others only provide a very small private room, with single seated sofa and a small table.

2. Sunway Pyramid
Other than baby room in Sunway Jaya Jusco, there are two public baby rooms available in Sunway Pyramid (Orange Zone): 1st floor opposite Delux and 2nd floor opposite Elianto. They provide you with water dispenser, play area and a private room with door. Do take note that air circulation in the private room is quite bad. Diapers changing facility is available in all washrooms.

3. IKEA
Baby room in IKEA is available at all floors. I visited baby room in IKEA, very simple! It is like a big washroom, with a small corner covered with curtain.

4. Others
Some of my friends told me that baby rooms are also available in Isetan and The Gardens. I need to check that out before I can confirm.

One important message: Men are strictly not allowed to enter! I do not understand why some men or women can just ignore the sign and go in or let their husband to go in.

Another important message: Please do not bring irrelevant people in. Baby room is only meant for mummy and baby who need to use the facilities available inside, and not for other people! Some people bring the whole kampung in, and the baby room becomes very noisy and congested. Some even allow their husband and older kids playing inside the baby room!! Some babies cry just because of it!

Jayden seems fascinated by breastfeeding in public. He always make happy and soft sounds while I am breastfeeding him or when he hears sounds from other babies in other private rooms. There was one time he suddenly stopped sucking and looked at me when another baby cried. He laughed and talked for a while (look more like teasing another crying baby), then only continued sucking.

Breastfeeding in public becomes part of my motherhood life. And I am happy that baby room facilities are more common in Malaysia nowadays.

No comments: