Thursday, June 24, 2010

My pledge to Mother Earth

I came across a Pledge Program lately from my colleague, who is actively promoting to others about low-carbon life. I decided to take the pledge and signed the form.

This was actually launched by Sin Chew Newspaper earlier in March this year and is greatly supported and widely promoted by a voluntary group - Save Great Mother: Go Veg! Be Green! I find it meaningful...

Out of the 12 steps suggested in the pledge form, I have selected 11 to conserve energy and reduce the carbon footprint in my daily life:

1. Control air-conditioners’ temperature: Set the temperature at 26-28 degree and ensure that the cool air is not let out by keeping windows and doors closed when the air-conditioner is switched on. Minimize the usage of air-conditioner, open windows and enjoy the fresh air whenever possible.

2. Turn off lights and other electrical appliances when not in use. Remove unnecessary / extra florescent lights or light bulbs at home / workplace.

3. Use energy saving light bulbs and electrical appliances. Replace tungsten light bulbs with compact fluorescent/ energy saving bulbs.

4. Reduce / limit the frequency of and the amount of water used for shower and car wash.

5. Walk instead of taking escalators or lifts: use the stairs at my home and workplace.

6. Drive less: Take public transport whenever I can. Reduce times of driving alone, or do not drive for at least once per week.

7. More vegetables, less meat: Be a vegetarian for a day per week or a meal per day. I will order only the amount of food I can consume.

8. Bring along with me my food container, cup, cutleries and reusable bags. Refrain from buying and consuming bottled water. Refrain from using disposable items.

9. Make full use of both sides of printing papers. Use handkerchief instead of tissue papers.

10. Reduce one hour of TV or PC or net-surfing time per day. I will spend more time with my family instead.

11. Recycle used papers, metal cans, plastic containers and bags, and glass.

The one that I didn't select is to dedicate 3 minutes daily prayer or contemplation for the well-being of the earth. But I added one to make my total pledge to 12: To reduce the usage of disposable diaper and use reusable diaper as much as possible.

My colleague will create a bottle to evidence my pledge. I will add a green bean into the bottle when I have really practised my pledge, and a red bean when I have successfully passed this message to someone. I have added a green bean into my bottle today as I use staircase instead of lift just now.

It is not difficult to love Mother Earth. I believe small effort from everyone can make a big change to our living planet, and create a great place for our future generation.

Please love our environment. Please love our mother earth.
Take your pledge now!!!

Search "Save Great Mother: Go Veg! Be Green! " from Facebook to know more about this voluntary group.

Other related Green Environment posts:
Say YES to "No plastic bag day"
Say "NO" to plastic bags

No comments: