Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Baby sleeping

Sleeping is a luxury ever since Jayden came to this world. I should be happy if I can take an hour afternoon nap with him when I am off from work, or he can back to sleep quickly when he wakes up during mid night, not to mention the number of times he wakes up.

I wanted to build up a good night sleeping habit for Jayden, but I was not very determined and consistent. Partly because I'm still breastfeeding and by allowing him to suck my nipple, I can continue sleeping while he is doing comfort sucking. And he normally falls to sleep thereafter. This is the best, fastest and least energy solution to make him quiet immediately, especially when I am very tired and have little energy to deal with him during mid night.

Jo has been telling me benefits of having baby sleeping through the night, showing me articles and things like that. Finally, I decided to really do something, for the sake of everyone!

I started it when he turned to 11 months, which was few days ago. I set a bed time routine for him: breasfeeding time - play time - story book time - sleep. I breastfeed him before all other routines so he won't link my breast to sleep, means no more comfort sucking for him. He needs to learn how to soothe and comfort himself and back to sleep when he wakes up during mid night.

First night, I followed the bed time routine then I said night-night, sleep-sleep, sweet dream (the three magic terms) to him and switched off all lights. He lied on the bed, playing his fingers, came to me few times then lied back on bed. I sang lullaby, kiss him when he came to me... He fell asleep after half an hour. He woke up three hours later, as usual, crying and couldn't fall back to sleep by his own. I didn't breastfeed him but talked to him softly, carried him and sang him lullaby. I used longer time than before to make him back to sleep.

Second night, the same bed time routine and the same three magic terms. He fell asleep in less than half an hour. He woke up three hours later, then back to sleep after I talked to him. No carrying and no lullaby. I was surprised!

Following nights, he fell asleep without me singing lullaby. He wakes up once during mid night and back to sleep faster without much effort from me. Then woke up around 6am - 7am for his morning meal. He slept for a while after I breastfed him and woke up again at around 8am before we went to work. I found him more cheerful than before!

Things are working out gradually. I am confident that my boy will be able to sleep through the night soon. And that will be the time to move him to his room. I think sleeping will not be luxurious anymore!

No comments: