Sunday, August 09, 2009

Breastfeeding

It is really an amazing experience to me! Breastfeeding is really like doing Economics - Demand vs Supply!

I tried my first breastfeeding the evening after I delivered Jayden. I didn't have much milk to feed him, but I knew my body had received the signal and started the production. 4 days after delivery, I experienced breast engorgement! It was not very pleasant because it was very painful. My breast became as hard as rock, and every little body movements made me feel the pain!

Jo bought me a breast pump later on and both of us tried out our first 'breast milk pumping' experience that night. It was not as easy as we thought. I was experiencing breast engorgement but very little breast milk came out after we tried pumping for about half an hour. We only managed to pump out less than 1oz of breast milk. I was quite disappointed with the result.

It is now 2 weeks after my delivery. Demand vs Supply theory kicks in and everything gets so much easier for me. Breast milk pumping is not an issue anymore. I just need to pump for few times and my breast milk will flow out, just like water coming out from water tap. Indeed, I get some satisfaction from doing this 'job'!


My breast milk I pumped out one of the afternoon...

And when I am feeding Jayden directly, I feel myself so 'mother' when I see Jayden with a mouthful of my breast milk!

No comments: