Monday, October 25, 2010

Haru Zen

It's my big boy birthday! I decided to have a dinner with him without little boy messing around. Well, little boy won't really mess up things but he will keep demanding for food, and that may mess up our great dinner date.

Japanese food is one of our favourite cuisine. There is a new Japanese restaurant in town and we decided to give a try - Haruzen!



The restaurant is basically divided into two parts by a bamboo divider - one part is dining for group and another part is dining for two. There is also a bar section right after 'dining for two'.

This restaurant knows how to present their food, not to the extend of fine dining but close to. And I like the way the food was served as they all look nice and delicious. It brings excitement for someone who likes to eat!


Kanimaki and salmon maki

These were our appetiser. We all know how common these sushi are but they just look so much nicer than the one in Sushi King. Crab meat in kanimaki is not the normal crab stick we found in hypermarket, but a more high-end crab stick (although it is still a crab stick). Salmon is also fresh. I think the appetiser is quite ok.


Salmon sashimi

Salmon sashimi lover may like this restaurant because the salmon sashimi served here is very fresh and smooth. And obviously, it is thicker and bigger pieces than the others. Of course, the price is more expensive but I think it is still affordable. I couldn't remember whether they serve salmon belly sashimi, but if they do, I think it would be a must-try since their salmon sashimi is so fresh and nice.


Cawanmushi

Other than normal ingredients for a cawanmushi, they added lemon skin. Jo doesn't like it much but I find it is a plus point. I like the fragrance the lemon skin added into the cawanmushi, very refreshing! A smoothy cawanmushi mixes with crunchy refreshing lemon skin, how unique it is! Something different from the normal cawanmushi I had before.


Japenese garlic fried rice

Our another routine order for Japanese food is Japanese garlic fried rice. It is nothing better and I find it is not as tasty as it looks. It is a good fried rice if it is intended to be an egg fried rice. It is served in big portion and suitable for two if you have a lot of other dishes on the table.


Gindara cooked with miso paste

This is not Gindara Shioyaki (grilled cod fish) but Gindara with miso paste. I like Gindara and miso when they are served separately, but not the combination. The fish is fresh and texture is good, but the taste is not really what we expected. And I think the chef has overcooked it, look at the black parts! And the overcooked parts taste exactly like chinese barbecue pork (char siew). I find it odd to have chinese barbecue pork in a Japanese restaurant. Nevertheless, the presentation is good! At least it looks delicious and seductive when it is served!


Atka Saba Shioyaki

I loves Saba Shioyaki (grilled mackerel) and I wanted to try out Atka Saba Shioyaki. According to the waitress, it is a different type of saba from Hokkaido. I think I made a mistake because we both don't like it at all. It is not as juicy as saba shioyaki. In fact, it is very dry and taste like salted fish. Again, I think the chef has overcooked it because it is too dry and hard. I think it is the worst dish we had for that night. Well, maybe we just don't know how to appreciate it.

I think Haruzen may be a good place for sashimi but not for cooked dishes. Maybe I should try out their Okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake / pizza) next time since it is their special dish. For those who would like to try out:



Haru Zen Japanese Restaurant
Lot G28, Ground Floor, IOI Boulevard,
Jalan Kenari 5, Bandar Puchong Jaya,
47170 Puchong, Selangor D.E.
Tel: 03 80766512

No comments: